Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 604E voice-coil displacement

  1. #1
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wondering if anyone can tell me the amount of displacement between the LF and HF voice-coils. I'm going to try an active setup and mess with time-delay on the LF, there is a description of a process to test in the manual but I wouldn't mind knowing what the distance is to make sure what I end up with is more or less in agreement. Many thanks.

    Dave

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, Dave,

    I don't have one to measure, but it's easy enough to do. Simply measure the axial distance from the center of the front plate of the large mag to the center of the rear plate of the small one. This will be approximately the same as the depth of the entire mag structure less 1/4", which I'm guessing will be about 6-7", which equals about 1/2 millisecond of delay. That's a very fine adjustment on most XOs.

    You'll get far more accurate results (if you have the test gear) by adjusting for peak combined (measured) output while playing a sine wave at the XO frequency. If indoors, check it with the mic or spl meter on-axis at different distances to make sure you're not getting any reflection error.

  3. #3
    Hostboard Member klausesser's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    89
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello Dave!

    It?s 5,375inches which means 215degree at 1500Hz.

    best, Klaus

  4. #4
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Many thanks guys, I'll report back on my results.

    Dave

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Dave
    My 605A's measure 408 usec; 604E's will be more.
    Try listening to drum tracks.I use some old Motown cuts ;The Temptations ,Commodores,The Pips, Steve Wonder, ... try to get a CD Best Of MOTOWN 72-92.
    Don

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Dave
    The CDs are VOL I & II:
    Hitsville USA.: [sound recording (CD)] the Motown singles collection, 1972-1992.
    Don

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.